Whether you’re an expert drummer or an avid beginner, it’s no question that you’ll need something to practice on. Though using your drum set at home might sound like the best idea, that isn’t always going to be the case.
Drums and the word “quiet” don’t usually go in the same sentence. After all, a percussion instrument is meant to create a rhythm that’s loud enough to be heard above all other instruments.
But if you live in the suburbs or in an apartment, your neighbors probably don’t care about that.
We highly recommend that you use a quiet drum set when you’re practicing at home to avoid disturbing the people around you!
The 7 Best Quiet Drum Sets, Kits, and Pads for At-Home Drumming
These quiet drum sets work best for quiet practice sessions at home. They have mesh and rubber heads, and experts and beginners alike will find these practice drum kits useful for daily exercises.
1. DW Drum Workshop Go Anywhere
For the best overall experience, we choose this drum set from Drum Workshop. It’s the perfect quiet practice drum set because it mimics a real one perfectly but without the same fussiness.
HERE’S WHAT MAKES IT GREAT:
- Unlike a real drum set, this only has 5 pieces that you’ll need to assemble. Just put together the 5 parts of this practice drum set and you’ll be good to go. You don’t have to worry about confusing screws and bolts that a normal drum kit would have!
- It has two 8-inch drum pads to mimic tom pads and cymbal pads. Another two 10-inch rubber pads are meant to serve as the snare drum and floor tom pads. And then one bass drum pad completes the set.
- This also includes a drum stand that’s stable enough for long practices. You can easily adjust it to your height since the practice pads are very lightweight — and that means that this quiet drum set is highly portable as well.
With this drum set, you can practice drumming anytime you want. Whether during the day or at night, this practice drum kit is guaranteed to make virtually zero sound!
- Allows you to practice quietly and comfortably at home
- Simple setup and assembly of the drum kit parts
- Easy to bring around
- Can purchase a separate bass drum pedal to complete the set
- Only has 5 parts so it’s easy to assemble
- Lightweight components make it easy to travel with
- Creates absolutely no sound
- The bass drum pedal doesn’t come with the set
2. Roland TD-1DMK V-Drums Set
Best for Authentic Sound
If you’re an experienced drummer looking for something that sounds as close to a real drum kit as possible, then this is the perfect quiet drum set for you. The Roland TD-1DMK Dual-Mesh Kit gives you the most authentic drum sound!
It’s a quiet electronic drum set with 15 preset drum kits to give you a drum sound that’s just like the real thing.
HERE’S THE BREAKDOWN:
- The complete drum set includes a kick pad, snare drum, hi-hat, and hi-hat control pedal. It also has a crash cymbal, a ride cymbal, and three tom drums. They all go together on the drum stand that’s also part of the set.
- This quiet electronic drum set has a built-in metronome and adjustable tempo settings to help you with timing as well. In total, you get to enjoy 256 notes of polyphony. How great is that?
And you get all of that while still keeping the peace while practicing.
This drum kit won’t make a sound at all since it has dual-ply mesh heads that keep the acoustic drums from creating noise.
- Perfect for experienced drummers
- Authentic drum sounds
- Lets you practice silently at home
- Quiet mesh heads
- 15 preset drum kits give an authentic sound
- Dual-ply mesh heads ensure a quiet experience
- Has adjustable drum sound settings
- Doesn’t come with a kick pedal or personal drum monitor
- Harder to travel with since it has more parts than other practice drum sets
3. Alesis Compact Kit 4
The beauty of electronic drum sets is that they’re easier to set up and transport. So if you’re looking for something that’s compact enough for frequent travel, then this practice drum kit from Alesis is the best option for you.
Since Alesis is already well-known in the music industry for its electronic drum sets, you won’t have to worry about the quality of this particular kit. Its parts are made from top-quality aluminum, metal, and drum materials to produce the best sound.
- As mentioned, this is perfect for traveling since all the drum pads and settings come on one tabletop device.
- It has a built-in speaker and headphone jack so that you can practice in peace anytime of the day.
- Also, this practice drum kit can be powered either using AC power or with 6 C-cell batteries — so you can use it anywhere.
- The 4 electronic drum pads are velocity-sensitive, so you won’t have to go out of your way to hit them to create sounds. They can capture even the slightest differences and nuances in the way you hit the rubber pads!
- And since this is a quiet electronic drum set, it has built-in settings that are easy to toggle with. You get 70 electronic drums and acoustic drums sounds, 10 effect voices, and 50 play-along songs in the catalog.
You also don’t have to worry if you aren’t an expert drummer since this has a coach setting that helps you learn how to use it.
Your LCD screen will show instructions and notes that you can follow to ease your learning experience!
- Great for frequent travelers or traveling musicians
- Top-quality materials and velocity-sensitive technology
- Multiple drum sounds and settings let you make various beats
- Even beginners can use it since it has a coach setting that teaches you how to use it
- Drum heads and switches come in one tabletop
- Detects even the smallest nuances when hitting the practice pad
- You have an option to use batteries or AC power
- Built-in speaker and headphone jack for quiet drumming
- Some users find the drum heads to be too small
4. Pyle Pro Electronic Drum Kit
This quiet electronic drum kit from Pyle Pro is another one of the best electronic drum sets that sounds close to authentic acoustic drums. And the best part is that this is designed to be easy enough for beginners to use so it won’t matter if you aren’t a drum expert yet.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- With 7 drum heads, the electronic drums are able to provide you with a good range of beats. And even if this is an electronic drum set, it produces acoustic drum noises just as well. So if you’re a fan of how an acoustic drum set sounds, this is also a good option.
- Apart from the seven drum heads, many accessories also come with this drum set. Electronic tom-toms, a snare drum, and ride cymbals create an adequate practice drum kit for both entry-level users and experienced drummers. And crash cymbals and hi-hat cymbals complete the drum kit.
- Electric and digital controls also enhance the user experience. You’ll get to easily record, mix, and produce your own beats. 55 preset and 10 custom drum kits are playable from this drum set. It even has a 300 cymbals sound as an added option. How great of a sound module is that?
- This electronic drum kit also comes with a USB cable that you can connect to your laptop. There’s also an option to sync it with your phone since it has an AUX jack. The AUX jack also lets you plug in your own headphones so that you get zero noise with this quiet drum set.
And much like the Alesis Compact 4, this electronic drum kit is easy to travel around with. All the drum heads are set on one tabletop board that you can carry around basically everywhere.
Now, you won’t have to lug around a hefty acoustic drum tool to achieve the same sounds it gives!
- Perfect for those who like both electronic drums and acoustic drums
- Great for portable music production and mixing
- Equipped with different beats and settings that you can play around with
- Electronic drums produce acoustic drum noises as well
- Drum heads are set on one tabletop board
- You can connect it via USB and AUX cable
- Some users find the kick drum to be too loud
- The rubber pads are less quiet compared to normal mesh heads
5. Ammoon Electronic Drum Set
These electronic drums from Ammoon are a favorite among experienced drummers and producers. Not only is it a quiet drum set that you can practice anywhere, but it also mimics the sounds of a real drum.
Electronic drum kits usually pale in comparison to a real acoustic drum set, but this one doesn’t.
HERE’S WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE:
- This product doesn’t even look like any of the typical electronic drum kits. Instead of having rubber drum pads, pedals, and stands that you’d have to assemble, this just comes in one flat mat-like board.
- Musicians love this kit since it’s can record, playback, and mix the beats it creates all at the same time. It’s a great production tool that has 9 silicon pads that PERFECTLY mimic an acoustic drum set.
- It has an open hi-hat, closed hi-hat, and low volume cymbals. It also has a snare, ride, kick drums, as well as three tom pads to complete the kit.
With this kit, you can experience acoustic drums even in the tightest spaces since it’s compact enough. And you can do all that while not creating noise since you can use this with your headphones as well.
Since this kit is portable and easy to use, it’s also recommended for beginners.
To power it, you can use either AAA batteries or you can also plug it into your laptop via the USB cable it comes with.
- Favored by producers and musicians for its portability
- Creates authentic druming sounds
- Compact size
- Can record, mix, and produce beats all at the same time
- Battery-powered and USB cable-compatible
- Perfect with headphones for a quiet drumming experience
- Has to be placed on a high table so that you can use it easily
6. Pyle Pro Portable Drums
This product from Pyle Pro is another great kit that we recommend from the brand. If you already liked their Electronic Drum Kit for its portability, then you’ll fall straight in love with this one. This also comes in one tabletop board but the catch is that it’s much smaller and compact.
When used, this set creates realistic sounds that are very much comparable to actual acoustic drums. You can also record, mix, and playback the beats that you create.
And like other practice drum kits, this is also USB-compatible, so you can sync it with your laptop or computer. You have the choice to connect it to an external speaker system or to your headphones as well. The headphones option will, of course, offer more peace and quiet, so we recommend it.
Adding to its portability, this device can be powered by batteries or by plugging it in with an AC adaptor. It even comes with its own rechargeable batteries so you can save up on purchasing new ones every time.
Finally, this has an LCD screen that displays its controls. You can easily navigate it and adjust its settings.
- An alternative to the Pyle Pro Electronic Kit, if you want something smaller
- Great for recording and producing
- Comes in a compact tabletop board
- It can record, mix, and produce all at the same time
- Comes with rechargeable batteries
- MIDI tends to malfunction when not plugged in properly
- The sounds it makes are softer compared to other practice drum sets
7. Roland V-Compact Electronic Drum Kits
This is a quiet drum set that’s highly recommended for beginners and less experienced drummers. Despite having a full kit, it’s still easy to put together and use.
Like most drum kits, the components that this comes with include a snare drum, tom, and cymbal. It also has a crash, ride, and kick. It even has a kick pedal and drum stand!
It’s an ideal kit for those who are just starting out because it’s fairly easy to use and creates authentic-sounding drum beats. It even comes with an SD card so you can record, mix, and playback the beats you make.
And you can always practice while being quiet since you can also connect this to your headphones.
- Perfect device for beginners and amateur drummers
- Option to use it with headphones ensures a quiet practice
- Complete drum-kit parts despite being for beginners
- Makes authentic drumming sounds
- You can record, mix, and playback the sounds you create
- Headphone option ensures a quiet experience
- More experienced drummers find that it doesn’t create sounds that are as good as other professional kits
Why Get a Quiet Drum Set?
Again, the words quiet and drums aren’t two things that you’d instantly connect with each other at first. But it actually makes sense to get a quiet drum set for the following reasons:
Practice won’t just affect you but even the people around you.
You can keep the peace by practicing in silence with products like these!
All the components you need are already either squeezed into one tabletop board or minimized to, at most, 8 parts.
It’ll be easier to travel with and carry around wherever you go.
With all the options we’ve laid out, we hope that you’ll be able to find the right quiet drum set for you.
It’s definitely a great device that can help you learn and practice your skills even when you’re at home. And the greatest part is that with quiet drum sets, you won’t have to disturb the people around you!
If you want something that can give you a complete drumming experience while staying quiet, then check out the DW Drum Workshop Go Anywhere. It has great quality to give you the best overall experience.
And if your priority is to get your drums to sound like actual drums, then try out the Roland TD-1DMK V-Drums Set. Many users who’ve purchased it commend it for the authentic audio quality it produces that is very much similar to real drums.
Lastly, if you’re looking for something that’s easy to travel around with, then check out the Alesis Compact Kit 4. All the drums and switches come on one tabletop board that you can simply carry around.
However, if you already have a drum kit you love playing with, you can check out our guide on How to Cheaply Soundproof Your Room for Drum Practice instead.
It’ll take some time and effort to fix your practice room, but at least you don’t have to put your current drum set to waste!
July 8, 2021 – removed 3 external links
July 6, 2021 – added changelog, updated title and featured image, updated meta-description, fixed and updated article formatting and content, optimized content