A quiet hair dryer sounds pretty ironic, doesn’t it? Even oxymoronic to a fault.
It’s not exactly what you call silent or noise-less, but closer to the level of a normal conversational tone.
That’s fairly decent if you ask us — considering the fan and the motor blowing at speeds close to 30 miles per hour.
Here’s what we’ve compiled for you in this review today: the 8 best quiet hair dryers that aren’t IRRITATING or DISTRACTING to your ears in the morning!
Along with that, we’ll take a closer look into the essential features these quieter hair dryers have to offer like:
- They won’t make you feel deaf
- Can provide the best blow-drying experience
- Offer bonus benefits like safety and operation costs
Let’s get started!
Reviews of the Best Quiet Hair Dryers for Professionals & for Everyday Use
After completely drying our hairs out, we found that these are the BEST quiet hair dryers for the quietest and most pleasant hair drying experience!
1. Bio Ionic Whisper Light Pro Dryer
Rated as one of the top 3 quiet hair dryers in the market, the Bio Ionic Whisper Light Pro Dryer is the quietest hair dryer worth looking into.
First off, the technology is unique compared to most hairdryers. Using Nano-Ionic Hybrid Mineral Technology, your hair will dry A LOT FASTER with a good shine and conditioning without damaging your hair — even when used over longer hair drying times.
We’d say it’s quite the benefit that already makes it worth your time (and we’re only just talking about its technology).
Features-wise, the Bio Ionic hair dryer is fairly simple. With 3 heat settings and a cool shot feature, that’s pretty much it.
No glitz and glamor, just all BUSINESS — perfect for professional hair stylists!
It has an ergonomic design, a professional look, and with 1400 wattage of power, it’s no wonder it’s the quietest hair dryer around.
Although it carries a higher price tag, it’s a hairdryer you wouldn’t be wasting your money on.
- Nano-Ionic Hybrid Mineral Tech
- Moisturizes and conditions hair for a smoother, stronger finish without damaging hair
- Dual Removable Filters
- Easier cleaning experience and aids in catching any hair or debris efficiently
- Whisper Quiet
- Noise-free blow dryer for a more comfortable, irritate-free blow drying experience
- Three Temperature Settings with Cool Shot Button
- Choose between low, cool, and high
- Invaluable hair dryer tech
- Super quiet
- Ergonomic design
- Great functionality
- Features are limited
Who This is For:
- You’re looking for hair dryers that isn’t too heavy to carry
- You want efficient performance
2. Centrix Q Zone Hair Dryer
The Centrix Q Zone blow dryer is one of the few hair dryers that offer lightweight design, quiet performance, 1500 W of power, and ionic ceramic tourmaline technologies.
With all that put together, you get the professional hair look you’ve always wanted while keeping your hair strong, shiny, and healthy!
The decibel rating for this blow dryer range from 74 to 82 decibels, making it a decent quiet hair dryer.
It’s not quite at the level of the Bio Ionic Hair Dryer, which ranks as one of the quietest hair dryers, but it still performs adequately in the noise department.
What’s unique about this blow dryer is its four attachments:
- The Diffusor
- Power booster
- and the Pick Attachment, which lets you comb your hair while you’re drying it
To be fair, the price for this hair dryer is at a moderate level. The versatile attachments and ionic ceramic tourmaline technologies land a strong case among other quiet hair dryers.
- Quiet Tech
- Reduces noise pollution and allows quiet blowing
- Ceramic Tourmaline Technologies
- Leaves hair feeling silky smooth and healthy
- Ionic Technology
- Reduces your hair drying period
- Cool Shot Feature
- Two cool shot button features accessible either through handle or barrel grip
- Fairly quiet decibel level
- Multiple attachments allow greater functionality and usability
- Strong visual appeal
- Good value for money
- Quite bulky
- Placement of control buttons is scattered and can take a while to get used to
Who This is For:
- You’re looking for quiet hair dryers that offer multiple functions/features for hair drying
- You want that professional hair look without having to go to hair salons every time
3. Dyson Supersonic Hair Dryer
Best Premium Pick
No one says premium any more than Dyson. It’s elegant alright, and when it comes to sound, it’s a hit as being a top entry for a quiet hair dryer.
To explain further, there are TWO FACTORS that make the Supersonic a quiet hair dryer:
- First, it carries a rubber mount and reduces the vibrations in the handle
- Second, instead of using 11 blades, Dyson added two more so it reduces noise even further
The Supersonic blow dryer also seems to have stepped up the game in SPEED. It’s called Supersonic for a reason.
You can expect to dry your hair in half the amount of time needed, and it even comes with a variety of attachments such as the Smoothing Nozzle, which provides hair drying AND shining capabilities at the same time.
When it comes to design, the Supersonic blow dryer is a WINNER.
On the surface, you can already see how stunning it looks. Even with all the attachments that come with it, they’re neatly placed and also magnetic, so it’s incredibly easy to strap them on to this quiet hair dryer.
The Dyson Supersonic blow dryer prices VERY high on the market, but we’d rank it as one of the quieter hair dryers that can make your hair salon visits less frequent.
- Dyson Multiplier Air Tech
- Concentrated volume of air allows more blow drying power and faster speed
- Heat Protection Feature
- Sensor automatically stops temperature that reduces burns or hair damage
- Magnetic Features
- Easy slip-on feature so it’s easily removable to switch between
- Four Heat and Speed Settings
- Wider range of levels to adjust for preferred drying capacity
- Elegantly designed
- Pretty quiet
- Impressive design for both structure and attachments
- Drying time is halved
- Much more expensive compared to other hair dryers
- Overwhelming number of settings
- Settings are too small
Who This is For:
- You’re looking for quiet hair dryers that saves you loads of time
- You spend a lot on styling products. The Supersonic spares the need to invest in so much
- You’re looking to invest in high-end hair dryers worth the price
4. Conair 1,875W Turbo Hair Dryer
What to expect with the Conair Turbo Hair Dryer: a low hum noise.
It’s fairly loud at a decibel rating of 84 decibels, but not TOO loud that it doesn’t make this list of quiet hair dryers.
Sound levels aside, what’s most impressive with this hairdryer is the ionic technology it uses. Using this ionic hair dryer allows better reduction for those having trouble with static or frizzy hair problems.
The attachments are pretty useful too. You have the concentrator and a diffuser. The diffuser attachment works best for curly hair and the concentrator for better styling.
You’ll also have your two heat settings along with an option of a cool shot setting, so that’s a plus for functionality.
What’s tough about this turbo hair dryer is the overall design. It’s fragile and can easily break down because of the poor materials used.
HOWEVER, when it comes to price, this 1,875-watt turbo hair dryer is a great bargain.
- Ionic Technology
- Negative ion technology produces far infrared heat and prevent frizzing for a balanced hairstyle
- Two Heat/Speed Settings with Cool Shot Lock Feature
- Enhanced Heat control for desired hairstyle result
- Diffuser & Concentrator Attachment Features
- For improved hair customization, styling, and conditioning
- Noise level is fairly quiet
- Good value for money
- Negative ion technology is an excellent remedy for frizzy hair
- Auto shut-off feature to prevent any short fuse danger
- Breaks down easily
- Not the most convenient travel hair dryer
Who This is For:
- You’re looking for lower cost alternative hair dryers
- You’re tired of spending hours on getting through the frizziness and static every morning
5. MHU Professional Salon Grade 1,875W Hair Dryer
Similar to the Ion Whisper hair dryer, the MHU hairdryer also offers tourmaline technology, which means healthier hair for you.
When it comes to quiet levels though, it’s not as quiet as the Ion Whisper. BUT, it’s still fairly quiet in exchange for a more compact, lightweight hair dryer.
Like most hair dryers mentioned in this article, the MHU hairdryer comes with 3 heat settings and two speed settings, along with a cool shot button.
The attachments, however, are a bonus. It has a concentrator and a diffuser for you to choose from for either frizzy hair or improved styling.
HERE’S WHAT WE LOVE: It’s highly usable in multiple situations.
A hanging hook, easy-hold handle, and long power cord all together make this quiet hair dryer convenient and much easier to use.
At a lower price that offers tourmaline technology, the MHU hair dryer is a solid bet.
- Far Infrared Heat Tech
- Far infrared heat tech generates gentle heat to prevent hair damage at extended drying periods
- Two Dryer Attachment Features
- Comes with a Concentrator and Diffuser for better hair control
- 2 Speed & 3 Heat Settings
- Adjust between different levels for desired hair results
- AC Motor
- Adds stability to the current and prolongs service life
- Decent hair dryer blow-power
- Easy to carry
- Excellent portability
- Easy to clean
- Tourmaline technology boosts healthier hair
- Design construction is weak
- Attachments have been noted to fall of easily
Who This is For:
- Great choice for those with thin hair
- You’re looking for compact, lightweight, and quiet hair dryers that are easy to bring around
6. GHD Air Hair Dryer
The GHD Air hair dryer is one of the more premium hair dryers in the market that packs more power in drying your hair.
However, the power does come at a price. With noise being on the fairly LOUD side, the GHD Air hair dryer isn’t so subtle.
Don’t expect it to be the quietest hair dryer around. One reason for this massive turbo power is its 2100 wattage capacity.
Although, drying your hair is über-easy when it comes to this ionic hair dryer.
For its features, it has
- 3 speed and heat settings placed nicely at the back frame, making it easy to switch while drying your hair
- The attachments also come in pairs: diffusor and concentrator. However, they’re not as neatly put compared to the other settings, so it can be quite the challenge to remove them.
That said, the usability is pretty decent. It’s easy to clean, has a long cord, and its power system supports both 110V and 220V. A fair trade to travel along with.
Lastly, this hairdryer is particularly heavier than most hair dryers, and while it falls in the premium bracket, it’s fairly worth the hefty price.
- Advanced Ionic Technology
- Allows softer and shinier hair style and also eliminates frizzing
- Ergonomic Function
- Improved control and blow dryer handling
- Smoother, Shinier Hair
- Get the salon style finish with maximum blow dryer power
- Heat & Speed Control with Cool Shot Setting
- Adjust between different settings for your desired hair style
- Superb hair dryer power
- Easy to clean
- Dual power system
- Comfortable and balanced in hold
- Dries hair fast
- Attachments are difficult to remove/switch to
- Quite heavy
Who This is For:
- If you’re willing to spend extra, this is your hair dryer
- You’re looking for hair dryers with superb drying power
7. Kipozi 1875W Hair Dryer
The Kipozi 1875W Hair Dryer creates a silky smooth finish without adding any dampness to your hair.
Kipozi comes with 2 settings for speed and 3 settings for heat, which helps make the drying time faster. Together with the Advanced Nano Ionic technology, you can expect consistency in the airflow from start to finish.
One of the best features you’ll love about the Kipozi 1875W Hair Dryer is its lightweight design and 6.5 ft long cord. In effect, you get a boost of convenience and portability in its handling and usability features!
With a wattage of 1,875 W, this low-noise hair dryer is non-irritating to the human ear, and you won’t notice the loudness that much either!
Finally, this comes with two attachments: a diffuser and concentrator. However, you might have a hard time locking the diffuser in place.
- Removable Lint Filter
- Allows easier cleaning experience
- Three Temperature Settings
- Higher range of settings for more options to adjust heat levels
- Lightweight Ergonomic Design
- Allows easy use and maneuverability while drying your hair
- Lightweight frame
- Easy to clean
- Advanced Nano Ionic Technology eliminates frizzy effect
- Quiet operation
- Diffuser doesn’t lock in place well
- Medium heat setting is lukewarm in temperature
Who This is For:
- You’re looking to style your hair with more precision and better define your natural curls
- Great for those who have curly, fine, or thick hair
- You’re looking for a hairdryer that can dry hair quickly
8. Revlon Lightweight Quiet Hair Dryer
True enough, the Revlon hair dryer is both lightweight and quiet with the lowest setting, hitting a decibel rating of 70 decibels. That’s a big jump for quiet when you have a fan inside blowing air with a 1,875 wattage of power.
Thanks to its lightweight design, you can easily switch this quiet hair dryer from your right to left hand or vice versa, meaning less work and energy needed to dry your hair.
Revlon’s hair dryer technology also uses a 3-layered ceramic coating for solid heat distribution without damaging your hair.
Two speed and temperature settings also come with this model, along with an auto dry feature designed to dry your hair without heat.
Unlike the Conair 1875 hair dryer, you’re limited to one attachment which is the concentrator.
Even so, it’s still a solid deal considering the price, how quiet it is, and the convenience of a lightweight hair dryer design.
- Quiet Fan Design
- Improved noise level control and quieter operation
- U-Shaped Air Inlets
- Boosts drying time
- Two Heat/Speed Settings
- For better control in drying hair
- Smoothing Concentrator Attachment Features
- Allows precision hair styling
- Quiet with a decibel level of 70 dB
- Efficient blow dryer power
- Fairly larger than most hair dryers rendering difficulty if you decide to travel
- Auto dry setting does not carry a switch on/off design
Who This is For:
- You’re looking for a hairdryer that isn’t too heavy to carry
- You want efficient performance at a lower price
Review These 5 Features Before Choosing a Hair Dryer
1st Feature to Review: Motor & Wattage
You might want to check the motor when you’re in the market for noise-free blow dryers.
- An AC motor will save you the irritating noise and annoying fan blow, although with AC motors, you’ll most likely have to sacrifice weight for a more quiet blow dryer
- DC motors, on the other hand, work best for reducing any strain while drying, so they’re more on the lightweight side
Wattage is a different story. The higher the watts rating, the more power your dryer can blow.
For a safer noise level, check for those with a 1,875 watts capacity, which is what you’ll find in most blow dryers today. For even lower noise levels, try to check for any watts capacity below 1,875.
Some, however, are much lower as you’ve read in this review. The Centrix Q Zone dryer, for example, carries a watts capacity of 1,500.
That’s much lower than the standard or usual 1,875 capacity. The Centrix Q Zone dryer performs more than adequately while giving you a silent performance.
2nd Feature to Review: Ceramic, Ionic, & Tourmaline Technologies
The type of technologies your dryer uses is just as significant to noise output.
- Ceramic technologies are usually the loudest but when combined with either two, this helps in reducing sound
- Ionic, on the other hand, uses negative ion technology and is considered the most silent
- Tourmaline technologies are also fairly quiet but focus more on a healthier, stronger, and silkier finish
Check for at least a combination of two technologies for a stronger blow and lower noise.
3rd Feature to Review: Noise Output
Manufacturers aren’t obligated to label the decibel ratings (dB), but that shouldn’t stop you. You can easily check through a smartphone app to measure the sound and just how loud it is.
Generally speaking, a range between 70 to 80 decibels is considered decently silent.
In this range, you can hold a normal conversation without the need to shout or raise your voice.
We would say even if you came across a noise output of 64 dB, that’s still probably in its lowest setting.
Doing a thorough check might lead you to discover the highest setting to produce a 70 dB noise output, which is still a decent silent mark.
4th Feature to Review: Heat/Speed Settings
Most heat settings are pretty standard for a considerable number of hair dryers.
Quietness isn’t exactly a factor affected by the number of settings you have, but rather more of a style that’s ideal for you along with reducing damage to your hair.
If your hair type falls on the thinner side, higher temperatures CAUSE DAMAGE FASTER compared to those who have thicker strands. Thinner strands require lower heat temperatures to prevent extensive damage long-term.
If this is the case for you, be careful with ionic technology.
Ionic technologies tend to blow more heat compared to tourmaline and ceramic by breaking down water molecules. Since moisture is low, this can actually lead to over-drying, which can also be detrimental to your hairline over time.
While more settings are better to style your hair, be sure to check and review the technologies it employs as well.
Check thoroughly whether your hair type falls either on the thinner or thicker side to identify what suits you most beneficially!
5th Feature to Review: Design
Ergonomic functionality plays a huge role in adding comfort and usability to the product. Without it, your overall drying process is compromised.
What you should check for is button placement, handle, and the ease of switching between attachments.
Most blow dryers come with an attachment to allow better styling and eliminate your usual frizz in the morning.
If these attachments are hard to detach or should the product itself be poorly made, you aren’t getting much return for what you paid for.
Poor button placement also leads you to switching through different settings accidentally, which can be irritating long-term.
Be sure to check for how comfortable the grip is in your hands, along with the ease of movement between your right and left hands.
This may not seem as important short-term-wise, but comfort goes a long way with any product you’re using!
- Check and review the motor type and watts capacity for reduced sound levels
- Review through the different technologies employed and preferably choose a combination for a stronger blow and lesser hairline damage
- As much as possible, stick between the ranges of 70 – 80 dB as longer exposure causes adverse chronic effects
- Choose versatility for better personalization purposes, but be careful to check how the heat/speed levels affect thin and thick hairlines
- Make comfort, better grip, and easy handling a priority to ease the use of the product
The Bio Ionic stands champion for its impressive silent performance and is overall, an invaluable product.
Had the Dyson Supersonic been cheaper in price, this would’ve made the top bracket.
It’s still fair to say the Supersonic is outstanding in design, usability, and performance.
Not all blow dryers are built the same, so each one has its own pros and cons. These pros and cons make it more suitable for specific needs and wants whether that might be a more professional look, better personalization, or value for money.
We hope this article helped you find the best quiet hair dryer for you!
While there isn’t a hair dryer that’s 100% silent, you can still take extra steps to try and reduce sounds coming from your bathroom.
You can take a look at our guide on How to Soundproof Your Bathroom to get started.
July 21, 2021 – converted article formatting to Gutenberg
July 16, 2021 – updated RUR table
July 8, 2021 – updated 1 heading, removed 2 external links
June 25, 2021 – added changelog, updated title and featured image, removed 2 internal links, added 1 new internal link, fixed and updated article formatting and content, optimized content