Keeping your air conditioning running the entire day can get expensive, especially on a hot summer day.
The simple solution? USING A WINDOW FAN!
Window fans can fit on any window frame, help reduce air pollution inside your home, and bring in some fresh air.
BUT HERE’S THE PROBLEM: Not all window fans are quiet. Some of these products are TOO NOISY and will surely DISRUPT your peaceful sleep.
Thankfully for you, we’ve rounded up some of the BEST and QUIETEST window fans on the market (yes, there’s such a thing as a quiet window fan).
Let’s get right down to it.
The Top Quiet Window Fans for Your Home: 5 Quietest Options
We tested a lot of fans, and these quiet window fans made the cut as the best ones on the market.
You can use these to keep your home cool without breaking the bank!
1. Bionaire Twin Reversible Airflow Window Fan
Best Overall Window Fan
The Bionaire window fan is one of the most convenient fans to have around the house. Whether you’ll have it in your home during the cold or hot seasons, it’ll provide you with a high comfort level.
Here’s what makes this fan cool:
- This double window fan can draw fresh and cool air from the outside of your home, and exhaust hot and stale air thanks to its reversible airflow control.
- The Bionaire window fan has a dedicated remote control. How convenient is that? Even without its dedicated remote control, you can operate this Bionaire window fan using the programmable thermostat on the fans’ body.
- Its dedicated LCD screen shows your fans’ current setting, and you can also adjust the temperature and speed settings of your fan without any hassle. Its LED lights make it easy and convenient for you to read your fans’ current temperature setting.
In terms of fitting the Bionaire window fan, you shouldn’t have any problem. This 8.5-inch window fan has a built-in adjustable extender, extending the fan’s size up to 13 inches.
The size makes it a perfect fit for casement, double-hung, and vertical-slider window types.
- Programmable thermostat
- Excellent LED display
- Provides great airflow and cool air
- Remote control operation
- Easy to handle and use
- Built-in adjustable extender to fit different window types
- Reversible airflow control
- Poor customer service
- Reports of electrical issues
2. Genesis Twin Window Fan
Best Value for Money
If you’re looking for the best value fan for your home, the Genesis twin window fan should be your number one pick. It’s the perfect household window fan that SCREAMS value, considering its compact size and impressive features.
- Measuring at only 9-inches, the Genesis twin window fan sports a max cool air technology that can give you overall comfort without taking up too much space. Because of its compact size, the Genesis is very portable. You can move it from one room to another without any problem. It’s very lightweight and comes with a carry handle on the back of its body.
- Whether you plan to use the Genesis window fan as a permanent or temporary fan installation at home, it’s up to you. The body comes with two detachable legs for whenever you want to use it temporarily. Once you’ve removed the legs, you can make this window fan a permanent installation and fit it on any window space.
- This window fan has two side panels that are expandable. You can easily pull out these side panels to increase the window fan size of up to 6 1/2 inches. The expandable panels are very convenient because you can easily fit them onto windows that have up to 37 inches of width.
Additionally, the Genesis twin window fan has other features you’ll enjoy.
It has three-speed settings and sports an adjustable thermostat that has LED indicator lights.
The fan also has two independent copper motors, which means you can simultaneously intake cool air from the other fan, and exhaust hot air from the other.
- Great fan for the house
- Very portable
- Expandable side panels
- Removable legs
- Programmable fan speed settings up to 3 levels
- Max cool technology
- Multiple features
- Independent copper motors
- Noisier than most
- Reports of little airflow
3. Holmes Dual 8 inch Blade Twin Window Fan
Simple & Effective Option
Are you looking for a cost-effective window fan? Holmes won’t disappoint.
- It’s very effective at drawing in cool and fresh air and exhausting stale and hot air at the same, thanks to its reversible airflow feature.
- Operating this dual fan isn’t a problem. You can use the remote control to change the fans’ speed settings, or manually fix it onto the fan itself.
- The thermostat can automatically turn on and off the fan, maintaining the temperature you desire. Its one-touch electronic control thermostat lets you choose from two speed settings and adjust it depending on your conditions.
- The LED lights help guide you of your current fans’ speed settings and provide you with the optimal amount of airflow.
Here’s what’s convenient: Installing the Holmes on your window won’t be a problem.
It comes with extender panels so it can fit all window types, like casement, double-hung, and vertical-slider windows virtually.
- Two comfort settings
- Fits all window types including double-hung and vertical sliders
- Reversible airflow
- One-touch thermostat
- Adjustable screen
- Expandable size
- Energy efficient
- Noisier than others
- Reports of the fan dying after several months of use
4. Air King 9166F 20-inch Whole House Window Fan
The Air King 9166F Whole House Window Fan is the perfect quiet window fan to have around your home or in the office. The fans’ windows are perfect for different types of sizes and all types of rooms.
- Although the fan only measures at 20-inches, it can fit window openings of up to 27 to 38 inches wide and 27 inches tall. Its dimensions will provide you with great flexibility, and you won’t have a hard time fitting it in any space.
- In terms of durability and build quality, the Air King 9166F Whole House Window Fan won’t disappoint. The fan is encased in an impact-resistant plastic housing, and its fan blades and grill are made of powder-coated steel.
- Whether you use the fan indoor or outdoor, you’re assured that the Air King 9166F can withstand any temperature or weather conditions.
The fan is made with high-quality and powerful motors that can quickly cool and circulate air in any space, anytime. You can also choose from three speeds to suit your needs.
- 3-speed temperature setting
- Front-mounted rotary switch
- Perfect all room types
- Great indoor or outdoor use
- Convenient ease of use settings
- Durable materials
- One year warranty service
- Can withstand various weather conditions
- No remote or LCD screen
- Pricier than others
5. Lasko Twin Electric Reverse Window Fan Model 2138
The Lasko offers two quiet speed settings to choose from. But what’s impressive about this product is the fans’ two independently controlled motors.
You can choose to operate the Lasko in three ways: as an intake fan, exhaust fan, and exchange fan:
- The intake setting uses both fans to bring in the cold and fresh air
- While the exhaust pushes stale and hot air out the window
- On the other hand, the exchange feature allows both fan motors to work independently, the other on the intake setting, and the other on the exhaust.
FEATURES WE LOVE:
- The Lasko Twin fan is pretty easy to handle and use, especially with its thermostat. Its thermostat can sense the temperature in your room, and adjust accordingly to keep the comfort level you desire. This feature makes the Lasko Twin fan an ideal window fan to have in your bedroom.
- Fitting the fan on your window won’t pose a problem, thanks to its expandable side panels. Whether you install it vertically or horizontally, it can snug perfectly on your window. Also, It can fit fans that are between 25 to 35 inches wide and 12-inches in height. The fan already comes fully assembled, so all you have to do is install it on your window, and you’re good to go.
- Don’t plan on using it for your windows? That’s not a problem. The Lasko comes with snap-on feet so that you can use it on your tabletops.
HOWEVER, if there’s one feature that makes Lasko stand out, it’s the Blue Plug technology. Blue Plug is an added safety measure that can detect a potential electrical fault, and cut off any electric current to prevent hazards. How cool is that?
- Independent fan motors
- Has a thermostat that automatically adjusts the temperature setting
- Blue plug
- Expandable side panels
- Reversible window fan
- Easy to use
- Comes installed
- Can be used as a tabletop
- Whisper quiet speed settings
- Doesn’t fair well in rainy conditions
- Made of plastic
Are Window Fans Effective?
Yes! If you think that window fans don’t pack the same power as air conditioning, we’re here to convince you otherwise.
Window fans are convenient products to use, and it’s an economical way to provide your home with fresh air. You don’t have to keep your air conditioning and window fan working simultaneously, especially if you know how to use your window fan properly.
Once you’ve figured this out, you can choose to stop using your air conditioner and save a lot of money and energy when you use window fans instead.
The Best Tips on How to Use Window Fans Properly
Now that you know how effective they can be, here are some excellent tips to help you maximize the use of your window fans.
An essential tip we can give you is to take note of your fan’s direction.
For this advice, make sure to find the balance between finding a cool area in your home to let the air in and a place to exhaust it.
An effective way of using your fan is to make sure that you use the air’s wind direction to your advantage.
You don’t need to have multiple fan products running inside your home all at once. At best, you only need one fan to cool down your home.
The same can only be true if you know where to place your fan to get the most out of it.
Make sure to place your fans in shaded portions of your home or office space. That way, you know that it won’t be blasting any hot and stale air.
If you plan on using your fan at home, make sure to put all your inward blowing fans on one side of your house and outward fans on another side. Doing this makes sure you have excellent airflow.
Never place your inward blowing fans near your garage or garbage area. When you do this, you’ll bring in many of those foul odors inside your home, and you don’t want that.
The bigger the size doesn’t always mean it’s better.
All you’ll need to take note of when considering your fan’s size is how well it will fit in your window. Make sure it doesn’t leave any big space for the air to come out.
You can use paper or cardboard to fill big spaces if any. By doing this, you can create a steady airflow at home without running the risk of cold air escaping.
This is why it’s especially crucial to take down the size of your windows before you buy the fan!
Blades can be made of different materials, like metal or plastic.
Often, metal blades produce better airflow than plastic blades. However, most metal blades are usually built-in industrial or office window fans rather than for home use.
Metal blades are also sturdier than plastic blades, though they may pose a hazard because of their sharp edges.
If you have pets and children at home, we recommend you get plastic blades. It’s powerful enough to cool your air without posing a hazard.
What Are the Advantages of Using a Window Fan?
Still not convinced if window fans are for you? Well, here are some of its advantages that you could benefit from.
1. Reduce Electric Bills
Using your air conditioning all the time can get very expensive, especially during the hot and humid season.
When you use a window fan, you can significantly reduce your energy consumption, paying less on your AC utility bills in the long run.
Instead of using an air conditioner, replace it with window fans. They’re more affordable, and it can cool your home just as well.
2. Fresh Airflow
The best part of using window fans is the fresh air flow and air circulation it can for your home.
Your house is home to various odors coming from different sources. Without having proper air circulation, the air inside your home remains stuffy and dry.
The best window fans in the market improve the air quality and air movement in your home to remove any unwanted odors and keep your rooms cool.
What You Should Look For in a Window Fan
Before making your purchase, it’s time to keep in mind the following considerations.
Make sure to choose a window fan that doesn’t make too much noise.
This is an important consideration, especially if you plan on using the window fan in your bedroom or workplace, which is why we highly recommend you get a quiet fan window.
Window fans will run several hours of the day, and it can get pretty annoying if they’re very noisy. If your window or even your ceiling fan is making a clicking sound, then you might want to do a quick fix.
Luckily, there’s a ton of quiet window fans in the market to choose from. You won’t have to worry about the noise level interrupting your conversations or have a sleepless night thanks to its quiet and smooth operations.
2. Type of Fan
There are two types of window fans: intake and exhaust fans.
Intake fans bring cold air from the outside into your home. Exhaust fans, on the other hand, expel any stale and hot air outside your home.
Make sure to choose which type of fan you need for your home. If you want to play it safe, there are reversible fans in the market that simultaneously work as intake and exhaust fans.
Like what we’ve said earlier, you want a reversible fan. Some can be operated automatically or manually, but we highly suggest you get the former.
With a push of a button, you can switch to different functions that you want with ease.
Make sure your fan is safe to use, especially around children and pets. We’re especially concerned about the blades of your fan. You don’t want the blades to unnecessarily fall off, especially if it’s made of metal.
Ideally, it would be best if you choose a fan that has a cover or screen to prevent any injuries from happening.
One of the essential things you need to consider is the power of your fan.
Make sure it’s powerful enough to cool your room. More importantly, remember that the more powerful your fan is, the better chances you’ll have at an excellent performing fan.
Finally, the price of your fan. Just like other home appliances, window fans range from the cheapest to the most expensive.
Always stick to your comfort-zone budget, whether it’s small or big. Remember, just because it’s expensive or comes with a remote doesn’t mean it’s more effective than others.
There’s a ton of affordable window fans in the market that perform well without breaking your budget.
What makes a window fan great is that they’re generally cheaper than getting a pedestal fan, box fan, tower fan, or a ceiling house fan.
Of course, this would depend on what products you’re comparing, but window fans won’t empty your wallet with super high-tech features that other fan types would have.
Our number one option for the BEST window fan is the Bionaire Window Fan for being one of the best well-performing fans in the market. You can unlock the full potential of the fan just by using its remote control!
Coming second is the Genesis Twin Window Fan. It’s genuinely one of the best portable window fans among most fan products today. It also makes an excellent permanent installation inside your home.
Finally, coming in third is the Holmes Twin Window Fan. Overall, we think that Holmes is a great all-around fan that’s simple to operate. For window placement, it can fit virtually any window types, and its automatic thermostat can provide you the comfort you desire.
What are you waiting for? It’s time to experience what these window fans can do to keep the cool air breezing through your home!
July 8, 2021 – updated 1 heading, removed 2 article links
July 1, 2021 – updated title and featured image, removed 4 article links, fixed and updated article formatting and content, optimized content