All moms will have to go through the same rites of passage once their babies arrive — and among these rites is purchasing a breast pump, a quiet breast pump at that.
A breast pump is convenient for expressing breast milk that you can save for later. But one of the biggest issues that most mothers encounter with it is the NOISE.
Electric breast pumps tend to be LOUD, especially if you’ll be using them in a public place!
Though many will say that just getting a manual breast pump will solve the problem since it’s quieter, an electric one is still A LOT more convenient — especially for working moms who have to do their pumping at work.
Reviews of the Top 7 Quietest Breast Pumps for Work and Travel
These 7 quietest breast pumps are the best options for discreet pumping. Whether you’re at work or in public places like malls and airports, you can rely on these products to get the job done!
1. Medela Sonata Smart Double Electric Breast Pump
If you want to get it right on the first try, then this quietest breast pump from Medela is our top pick. It offers great performance while remaining noise-free as you pump!
HERE’S WHAT MAKES IT THE BEST OVERALL CHOICE:
- The latest variant of this Medela pump has new PersonalFit Flex breast shields that can extract 11.8% more milk per minute compared to traditional breast shields. They also make the pumping process more comfortable since they’re flexible!
- This double electric pump also has Overflow Protection technology which prevents any milk from going into the tubing and affecting the motor. It keeps pumping sessions efficient and quick. And you can also choose from two pumping rhythms to maximize milk flow.
- You can use this just about anywhere since it operates on a rechargeable battery. This takes the cake as the quietest breast pump with noise levels of only 43.8 decibels.
- You can also connect this to the Medela app on your smartphone for a guided experience, so that’s plus!
The only DOWNSIDE is that some users find it quite tedious to set up. You’ll have to manually set up four pieces every time you use it. And then you’ll also have to clean everything up after each time.
- Comfortable breast shields
- Can extract more milk compared to other breast pumps
- Two pump rhythms
- Maximizes milk flow with its efficient pump mechanism
- Rechargeable battery
- Tedious to set up and clean
2. Ardo Calypso Double Plus Breastpump
The quietest breast pump that we recommend if you’re always on the go and have to move around is this one from Ardo. It’s lightweight at only 1 pound, and easy to use just about anywhere you need to!
Not only is it travel-friendly, but it’s also certified safe by the FDA. With hospital-grade breast shields, you’re assured of sterile pumping sessions. 97% of midwives recommend this product, too!
NOTABLE FEATURES YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- You have a choice of three sizes of shields with 64 independent vacuum and cycle settings.
- This quiet breast pump also has Optiflow and active massage inserts to ensure a comfortable electric breast pump experience.
- Each breast shield pumps with vacuum seal technology, so no outside particles can contaminate the milk. And because of this, you won’t have to clean out the tubes as often as you would with other electric pump options.
- The suction process is also gentle despite being powerful enough for fast extraction. This double electric pump ensures a steady milk supply.
And this hospital-grade breast pump can also be run using three power sources. You can use AA batteries, an AC adapter, or a car battery so it is perfect for traveling.
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Recommended by midwives for its hospital-grade breast pump
- Different pump and massage settings
- Vacuum seal technology for sterile pumping sessions
- Powered via batteries or adapter
- Some users find that it pumps slower compared to other breast pumps
3. Elvie Pump Double Silent Wearable Breast Pump
Best User Experience
Moms from 20 years ago will probably be surprised to know that today, there’s a breast pump that you can control with a phone application!
This quietest breast pump from Elvie is highly recommended for working moms.
- Since the shields are silent and wearable, you can pump even while you’re running errands or at a meeting. It doesn’t need any connecting tubes since it’s wireless so no one will even know that you’re pumping!
- And this is when the app comes in handy. It helps you track the amount it has extracted in real-time, as well as control the wearable breast pumps. This ensures a stable milk supply for your baby.
- To use this, you just have to wear it under your normal nursing bra and turn it on. It’ll automatically switch off and tell you when the bottle is full so you don’t have to worry about any messes.
Since this doesn’t need any connectors or tubing, it’s also very easy to clean. You only have 5 parts that need setting up and you’ll be good to go.
- Cord-free breast pump
- Real-time milk tracking
- Switches off when the collection bottle is full
- Controllable via app
- Can’t extract as fast as corded breast pumps can
4. Medela Symphony Breast Pump
Breast pumps are a specialty of the Medela brand. That’s why we included another one of their products on this list. Their Medela Symphony is another quietest breast pump that we highly recommend!
- Similar to the Medela Sonata, this quiet breast pump can extract in bigger volumes compared to similar devices. This is because of two-phase expression technology that copies a baby’s nursing rhythm. This breast pump can express 18% more milk than regular electric breast pumps.
- It only emits 49.2 decibels of noise so you’re assured of discreet pumping sessions.
The only downside is that it’s much bigger and bulkier compared to the Medala Sonata. It’s not recommended for travel.
So if you’re looking for a good electric breast pump to just have around at home, then this is the quiet breast pump for you.
- Extracts bigger volumes compared to similar devices
- Only creates noise levels of 49.2 decibels
- Bulky so it’s not good for traveling
5. The First Years Double Electric Breast Pump
What’s great about this quietest breast pump from The First Years is that you can run it with batteries or via an adapter. You can pump just about anywhere you need to!
Each breast pump shield is flexible so you get a comfortable experience with each pump. It also has a unique handle that was designed to allow for single-hand pumping when needed.
There are 8 suction levels that you can choose from. And many moms will also be happy to find out that this comes with slow flow nipples, 4oz bottles with lids, and a baby tote bag.
- Powered via battery or adapter
- Flexible breast shield
- Adjustable suction strength level
- Can’t breast pump as fast as other similar devices
6. Freemie Liberty Hands-Free Breast Pump
The final quietest breast pump to complete this list is this quiet breast pump from Freemie. It’s labeled to be hands-free because you can use it to pump almost anywhere thanks to the portable design.
WHAT WE LOVE:
- You can choose from single or double pumping since this has a hospital-grade suction power!
- It functions via a micro-USB charger, so it’s easy to set up and recharge.
- Users who’ve purchased this quiet breast pump also like that it’s easy to clean since it only has a handful of parts.
- This also has a sleep timer that lets you customize how long you want to pump for. You can set it between 5 to 40 minutes.
The one thing that users don’t quite like about this though is that the tubes are long. They’re noticeable underneath clothing, so despite being quiet, it doesn’t let you breast pump completely discreetly.
- Hands-free breast pump design
- Convenient USB charging
- Has an adjustable sleep timer
- Only has a few parts to clean
- Long tubes are noticeable under clothes
What to Consider When Buying a Quiet Breast Pump:
The top concern that moms have when buying a breast pump is discretion. If you’ll be using your breast pump while at work or in a public place, then you’ll want something quiet.
A good way to gauge if a breast pump is quiet enough would be to observe if it interferes with the normal volume of your voice when speaking. Anything louder than that is TOO LOUD.
Performance and Maintenance
Another factor to look out for is the performance of the breast pump. Does it pump fast and in large volumes?
A good breast pump would be one that’s easy to operate, light enough to bring around, and can pump as much breast milk as it can in a short amount of time.
And you should also think about maintenance. Is the breast pump easy to pack up and clean? The lesser parts you need to assemble and wash, the better.
A single breast pump is perfect if you don’t have to pump regularly. It’s a good option if you’re weaning your baby off of milk already.
A double breast pump is good for those who need to pump often. It’s the recommended breast pump type for expressing larger volumes.
Compact and Portable
If you’re looking for a breast pump you can use at work or when you travel, portability will be ESSENTIAL.
Sure, breast pumps aren’t exactly the biggest baby products, but you’ll want these to be as portable as possible.
Buying those that are convenient to pack, unpack, and use at an instant is EVERYTHING for a lot of moms!
Do You Actually Need a Breast Pump?
Technically, most moms do NOT need a breast pump if they’re exclusively breastfeeding their child during the infant stage.
You only really NEED a breast pump if your doctor advises you to use one because of several factors like:
- Inverted/Flat nipples
- Your baby doesn’t get enough milk from breastfeeding
- You’re frequently away from your baby throughout the day because of work
- Your baby is unable to breastfeed properly
However, if you’re reading this article, you probably already know that a breast pump is something you’ll need for you AND your baby!
Just make sure to take into account your lifestyle and doctor’s advice before buying any of the quiet breast pumps we listed above.
Now that you’ve read through this article, we hope that you won’t have to be stressed as much with your breast-pumping experience.
The best overall quietest breast pump that we recommend is the Medela Sonata. It’s portable, quiet, and comfortable all at the same time so you have fewer things to worry about.
And if you’re looking for something good for traveling and going out, then you should check out the Ardo Calypso. At only 1 pound, it’s the lightest breast pump on the list that you can bring with you anywhere.
Finally, if you want a discreet and convenient pump, then try out the Elvie Pump. It has a great smartphone application that you can use to control it. It ensures a quick and easy pumping session with every use.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Don’t ever be anxious to use your breast pump when you’re at work. It’s mandated by law that all mothers have a right to privacy and breaks every time they have to breast pump.
So go ahead and enjoy a quiet pumping experience with the best breast pumps we’ve laid for you above!
July 8, 2021 – removed 2 article links
July 6, 2021 – updated title and featured image, added 2 new sections, fixed and updated article formatting and content, optimized content
July 2, 2021 – updated article links