An air conditioner unit is important, whether in a home or office setting. It lets you lounge comfortably around the house and also keeps work computers from overheating.
But a common issue with room window air conditioners is the sound that they make.
Most of them are loud when turned on. You’ll notice this more with older models too.
It’s a good thing that we found the top 10 quietest wall air conditioners that’ll let you work and lounge around in peace.
Top 10 Quietest Wall Air Conditioners
After testing different wall AC models, these quietest wall air conditioners are the best ones to cool your room effectively without any loud noises.
1. Emerson Quiet Kool EATH14RD2 Window Air Conditioner
The quietest wall air conditioner unit we recommend is this one from Emerson Quiet Kool.
- Its air conditioning and COOLING OUTPUT is at 14,000 BTU, which is the HIGHEST out of all the units listed in this article. That means that it can easily cool down a room with a size of about 700 sq ft.
- Alternatively, this wall and window unit also has STRONG HEATING POWERS at 10,600 BTU, which you can use during colder months.
And as for the noise level, this Emerson Quiet Kool wall air conditioner unit only emits a maximum of 57 decibels when in use. It can easily go unnoticed when turned on in a medium to large-sized room.
- This has 2 split air exhaust vents that make it easier to DIRECT THE FLOW OF THE AIR. There are 3 fan speeds you can choose from as well.
- This window unit comes with a REMOTE CONTROL that will help you toggle the switches. You can set it to turn off after a certain amount of time using the BUILT-IN SLEEP TIMER too.
This room air conditioner unit can also be connected to your Wi-Fi via an app.
You can easily adjust the temperature settings there. You can even set it to Intelligent Sleep Mode so that it automatically adjusts the temperature and speed as you sleep.
- Strong heating and cooling output (for spaces of up to 700 sq ft)
- Emits low noise
- Adjustable air vents and fan speeds
- Programmable sleep timer and modes
- Hard to install without professional help
2. Friedrich CP08G10B Window Air Conditioner
If money is tight but you still want the best through the wall AC of high quality, then this wall air conditioner unit from Friedrich is the one we recommend.
In terms of COOLING POWERS, this window unit has 8,000 BTU and that’s what allows it to have a lower price point.
- Though that means that it’s significantly weaker than conditioners with higher BTUs (British Thermal Units), the good thing is it’s MORE ENERGY-EFFICIENT instead. Its Energy-Efficient (EER) rating makes it perfect for cooling down a small room while keeping noise level low too.
- This wall air conditioner unit has louvers that automatically oscillate when in use. You can also adjust the swing settings and fan speeds.
- It dehumidifies at a rate of 2.2 pints per hour.
Other features of this wall air conditioner unit include a 24-hour timer and an energy-saving mode. It AUTO-RESTARTS in case of a power interruption so you won’t have to reset the temperature or speed all over again.
Many users also like that the design of this unit looks very minimal because you only see a digital display on the unit itself.
Unlike other units, the only way to control this wall air conditioner is through the REMOTE CONTROL that comes with it.
- Affordable price
- Good energy-efficient (EER) rating
- Creates minimal noise
- Adjustable temperature, timer, and speed
- Hard to install on your own
- People think the customer service is slow to respond
3. Koldfront WTC8002WCO Window Air Conditioner
Best for Small Spaces
For those who need the best through the wall air conditioner unit for a small room, we recommend this one from Koldfront.
- It has COOLING POWERS of 8,000 BTU. This is perfect for cooling small spaces and rooms.
- Its edge is that it has HEATING POWERS of 4,200 BTU, which is pretty high.
- And though it’s marketed to have a 100 sq ft cooling area, it’s actually strong enough for rooms with a size of up to 350 sq ft. It does this while emitting the lowest noise levels as well.
- This unit has a dehumidifying power of 1.9 pints per hour.
Other commendable features include 4-way louvers, adjustable fan speed, and a 24-hour timer with sleep mode. You can control this thru the wall air conditioner unit via REMOTE CONTROL for easier use too.
- Perfect for small rooms (100 sq ft)
- Has both heating and cooling powers
- Low noise levels
- Programmable temperature and timer settings
- Some people received a defective remote control
4. Star Air Kontrol AK-08HS115V Window Air Conditioner
Following suit as a wall air conditioner unit that’s perfect for small rooms is this one from Star Air Kontrol.
- Its COOLING POWERS are 8,000 BTU, more than enough to keep a small space cold. This unit has a room cooling area of up to 170 square feet despite the low BTU.
- HEATING POWERS are also at 8,000 BTU.
- As one of the most silent wall air conditioners on this list, it only produces 51 decibels of noise levels when turned on. That’s hardly noticeable even when in a small room.
This wall air AC has adjustable fan speeds that you can choose from, as well as a remote control that you can use to SET THE TEMPERATURE.
The only downside is that this doesn’t have the same features as most wall AC products do. It has no built-in sleep timer so you’ll have to turn the unit off MANUALLY.
- Has cooling and heating powers
- Emits low noise levels
- Adjustable fan speeds and temperature
- No sleep timer
- Not recommended for big spaces
5. Kenmore Smart 04277127 Window Air Conditioner
This wall AC unit from Kenmore is Wi-Fi-compatible so you can control it via a SMARTPHONE APP or the REMOTE CONTROL that it comes with. And if you have an Alexa, you can sync it as well.
- For COOLING POWERS, it has a capacity of 12,000 BTU. This is relatively higher than most of the wall AC units. At least 12,000 BTU can cool up rooms of up to 550 square feet so you can use this for LARGER SPACES.
- This wall AC unit has adjustable fins to help you direct the flow of the air.
- You can also choose from four different window AC modes, depending on your preference. These are the Eco, Fan, Dry, and Cool modes.
- It stays true to its EER rating. The energy-efficient Eco Mode is particularly recommended for those who want to save up on energy consumption.
As for noise levels, this only emits 54 decibels despite having a 12,000 BTU capacity. It’s among the most silent wall air conditioners we found that’s still strong enough to keep a large room cold.
- High cooling capacity
- Suitable for large rooms
- Four window AC modes
- Eco mode has a great EER rating
- Wi-Fi and Alexa-compatible
- Difficult to set up on your own
6. PIONEER Wall Air Conditioner
You’ll notice that this wall AC unit from Pioneer looks different from the other wall AC units and window AC units mentioned in this article.
Unlike the others, this unit is a MINI SPLIT TYPE. That means it can only be installed on your wall.
It has TWO components.
- One is to be mounted on your wall inside the room and it’s called the Evaporator.
- Another is meant to be placed outside and it’s called the Condensor.
- They’re connected via the drain, refrigerant, and electric lines.
This is a great choice if you need an AC unit to use for a commercial space or work area since it can cool up bigger rooms.
It has a COOLING CAPACITY of 12,000 BTU and a HEATING POWER of 8,000 BTU.
- To control it, this has an adjustable LED display where you can toggle the settings. It also has automatic swings and multi-speed fan motors that can IMPROVE THE AIRFLOW inside the room.
- This uses whisper-quiet technology to deliver the LOWEST LEVELS OF SOUND.
- It even has a night mode that automatically adjusts both the fan speed and temperature.
The only catch is that this is tricky to set up at home without the help of a professional. You’ll have to get in touch with Pioneer’s customer service to ensure a smooth installation.
- Suitable for large rooms and commercial spaces
- Strong cooling and heating powers
- Adjustable fan speed and temperature
- Whisper-quiet technology emits low noise
- Needs to be set up by a professional
7. Keystone Window and Thru the Wall Air Conditioner
What we love about this wall AC from Keystone is that there are three variants you can choose from. The variants each have a different BTU unit.
You can choose from:
- 8,000 BTU
- 10,000 BTU
- 12,000 BTU
The lowest BTU unit variant can cool up smaller rooms while the highest one is great for large spaces.
Personally, we think that the 10,000 BTU variant was able to hit the sweet spot of both affordability and quality. It’s perfect for cooling up a room with 350 to 550 square feet. And it has heating power as well.
As for its features, this wall air conditioner unit has 3 fan speeds and 3 cooling modes.
- You can also turn on the Auto mode to activate the AUTOMATIC TEMPERATURE ADJUSTER.
- There’s a 24-hour timer and a temperature-sensitive remote control.
- This wall AC also has the HIGHEST DEHUMIDIFYING CAPACITY out of all the other window AC units we mentioned. It can dehumidify 2.3 pints per hour.
Finally, this only creates a maximum of 51.8 decibels when turned on, making it among the quietest wall air conditioners available today.
- Has three variants with different BTU capacities
- Strong cooling and heating powers
- Adjustable fan speed and cooling modes
- High dehumidifying capacity
- Emits low noise
- Prone to dents during shipping
- People found it tricky to install on their own
8. LG LT1016CER Window and Wall Air Conditioner
You should check out is this LG wall AC unit. It has all the great features of typical wall air conditioners but is MUCH QUIETER when in use.
It has a COOLING POWER capacity of 10,000 BTU, which is just right for medium to large-sized rooms.
- You can also choose from 3 different speeds for the fan, as well as 3 cooling options.
- It even has a built-in sleep timer so that it automatically switches your unit off.
- The REMOTE CONTROL lets you adjust the temperature and fan speed from wherever you’re seated.
Perhaps the only downside of this AC unit is that even though it’s small in size, it’s QUITE HEAVY in weight. You definitely cannot install this on your own.
- Produces minimal noise
- Great cooling power (10,000 BTU)
- Compact size
- Has a sleep timer and remote control
- Adjustable fan speed and cooling options
- Heavy despite its small size
- Prone to dents during shipping
9. Koldfront WAC12001W Window and Wall Air Conditioner
What differentiates this Koldfront AC unit from other wall and window air conditioners is that its cooling capacity is almost as high as its heating capacity.
- 12,000 BTU for cooling
- 11,000 BTU for heating
Its features include 3 adjustable fan settings, different operation modes, and an electronic thermostat that you can toggle.
Like other wall AC units and window AC units, this has air louvers that can be positioned in different ways to MAXIMIZE AIRFLOW. It has a room cooling area of up to 550 sq ft.
Finally, you can also opt to install this window AC either on your wall or through a window. It hardly makes any noise when in use as well.
- Cooling capacity is just as strong as heating capacity
- Adjustable fan settings and operation modes
- Movable air louvers
- Suitable for medium to large spaces (up to 550 sq ft)
- Low noise levels
- Slower to heat up a room compared to when cooling it up
- Customer service is slow to respond
10. Frigidaire FFRA0511R1E Window and Wall Air Conditioner
This unit from Frigidaire has the lowest BTU capacity among all other wall air conditioners on this list.
- It only operates with 5,000 BTU.
- Since it has a lower cooling capacity compared to other wall units, it’s better suited for SMALL ROOMS AND SPACES.
- But it’s STILL able to deliver high-quality cooling.
This has two cooling fans built into it that have 2 different speed settings. You can also opt to turn on the Low Power Start-up Mode which is its energy saver mode.
Plus, you’ll find that this has 2 mesh filters that are EASY TO CLEAN and slide back into the unit. They help DEODORIZE THE AIR that comes out of the unit.
We should also mention that this has a pretty good backup process. It AUTOMATICALLY RESTARTS, in case of a power interruption and restores previous settings.
Lastly, it does all those features while producing hardly any sound.
- Adjustable fan and speed settings
- Washable mesh filters
- Emits minimal noise
- Retains previous settings when restarted
- Tends to get dented during shipping
Wall Air Conditioners vs. Window Air Conditioners
Now, you might be thinking: Wait, there’s a difference between a wall and window air conditioner?!
Yes, there actually is.
A wall and window air conditioner are more similar than they are different, though. They both are fairly easy to install.
- One key difference is that with wall units, the air is exhausted only out the backside of the unit.
- With air conditioning in window units, the air is exhausted in both the back and the sides.
That’s why it’s important that you distinguish what kind you’re buying because if you accidentally install a window AC unit through your wall, the air coming out of the sides will be blocked.
Wall units are MORE FLEXIBLE since they can be installed through your window as well.
Most of the products that we recommended in this list are wall and window AC units that are compatible with either. Just be sure to double-check, in case.
What to Look for in a Quiet Wall Air Conditioner
Now that you know the difference between wall and window units, it’s time to learn about the factors to consider when purchasing your quiet wall air conditioner.
Obviously, you want something that produces the lowest noise levels possible without sacrificing quality.
Generally, A/C units with lower BTU capacity emit fewer sounds compared to those with higher BTU capacities.
But there are exceptions, like the air conditioning units we recommended above. And thankfully, there are new ways of eliminating excess noise from window air conditioners without sacrificing cooling capacity.
You should also take into consideration the size of the room you want to install your window AC in.
- Around 5,000 to 8,000 BTU is enough to cool up a small space.
- About 10,000 to 12,000 BTU is great for medium to large areas.
- And anything higher than 13,000 BTU is strong enough for large venues and commercial spaces.
British Thermal Unit or BTU is the measure of cooling capacity for air conditioners.
If the room you’re gonna be using the window AC in is usually exposed to heat and sunlight, then you’ll want something with stronger cooling powers.
The same goes for a larger room size.
An air conditioner with good dehumidifying capacity is able to eliminate excess moisture inside the room while it’s turned on.
This feature is perfect for when the weather is nice and you don’t really need to cool down but notice that the air is still humid.
Finally, if you’re planning to be more conscious of your energy consumption, it’s good to choose an air conditioner that has LOW POWER or ECO MODES. These options can significantly decrease power consumption .
Watch out for a good EER rating as well. A good one will have an energy saver mode for better energy efficiency. Plus, it’ll make sure that you save up on your electricity bills!
Now that you’ve read through our list of quietest wall air conditioner units, we hope that you were able to decide which is the right one for you.
We highly recommend the Emerson Quiet Kool EATH14RD2 as the window AC unit with the best overall features. It has STRONG COOLING POWERS and has ADJUSTABLE TEMPERATURE settings. Plus, it can even DEHUMIDIFY a room.
If you’re looking for a budget option, then you should purchase the Friedrich CP08G10B. Despite being AFFORDABLE, it doesn’t sacrifice cooling capacity and overall quality. You’ll surely get to save some cents on your electricity bills.
And lastly, if you need the perfect window AC unit for cooling up a small space, then get the Koldfront WTC8002WCO. It’s powerful enough to cool down a room but still quiet enough to not create distractions while you lounge around or work.
July 12, 2021 – updated external links
July 2, 2021 – added changelog, updated internal linking, updated format and content, optimized content