In this guide, we’ll talk about the best soundproof carpet and flooring materials you can choose from to help reduce noise on your floors and save you and your neighbor a world of headaches!
Our Picks for the Best Soundproof Carpet and Flooring Materials
1. Soundsulate Mass Loaded Vinyl
- Dimensions: 4 ft. (w) x 50 ft. (l) x 1/2 in. (thickness)
- Weight: 1/2 lb. per square foot or 100 lbs. per roll
- Made from: mass loaded vinyl
If you’re looking for one of the most durable, workable, and best soundproof flooring materials, look no further than the Soundsulate Mass Loaded Vinyl.
Each roll of this soundproof pad provides enough flooring material to cover most floors and its measurements can easily be scaled up or down, depending on the size of the room you are working on.
These soundproof pads are extremely easy to work with because of the material. You can simply cut it to size with any craft knife and leave it on the floor. No need to stick it onto your floors or under the carpet!
This means that while the cost per roll may not be the cheapest, you save on labor costs and can actually get great value if you are working on large areas or multiple rooms!
Plus, we love how this provides plenty of density to effectively reduce noise without adding too much bulk to your entire floor.
Is the Soundsulate Mass Loaded Vinyl for You?
If you are looking for soundproof flooring materials that offer excellent and long-lasting performance for your floors and are easy to work with, this is the acoustic underlay for you.
Not only is it effective at reducing noise levels, but it is also very durable and easy to install!
- Great density without the added thickness
- Easy to lay it on yourself
- Barely adds depth to the carpet
- Large surface area per roll
- Can be pricey for some
- Can be too big for some
2. QuietWalk Laminate Floor Underlay
- Dimensions: 3 ft. (w) x 33.4 ft. (l) x 2mm (thickness)
- Weight: 13 lbs.
- Made from: Recycled felt fibers
Designed specifically for soundproofing laminate flooring, the QuietWalk is a very helpful sound-deadening floor insulation product.
You can also use this on nail-down or glue-down wood, floating engineered wood, floating engineered/rigid core vinyl planks, floating wood/composite, and floating luxury vinyl planks, as long as they are 5mm and thicker.
Each roll of the QuietWalk laminate floor underlay will give you 100 square feet of underlay, which is enough for most. And if that’s not enough for your home or properties, QuietWalk also offers a roll that can give you 360 square feet.
With an IIC of 71 and an STC of 66, any customer is sure to be satisfied with this soundproof carpet’s soundproofing capabilities. It can reduce noise pollution with no problems whatsoever.
What we love about this flooring is that it has so many other features, besides just sound reduction:
- First, it is made from recycled materials that are free from any toxic and harmful chemicals as well as unpleasant odors.
- Second, these soundproofing products give you protection from moisture and leaks to keep your floors free from damage while allowing concrete to breathe and let out harmful water so that it does not become dangerous bulk moisture.
- It also comes with a safe anti-microbial treatment to stop mold and mildew from growing and keep you and your family safe.
You can get all this for a reasonable cost and can even install it yourself.
It’s as easy as cutting it, kicking it to unroll, and you’re done! It will also you for a long time because of its incredible durability.
Is the QuietWalk Underlay for You?
If you have laminate flooring in your room, house, or apartment, this acoustic underlay is the answer to your needs.
Not only is this great at sound-proofing, but it also comes with plenty of excellent features that you can’t find in other products!
- Excellent sound-proofing
- Moisture and leak protection
- Easy to install
- Not for all floor materials
3. Cleverbrand Neoprene Carpet Roll
Best Budget Pick
- Dimensions: 54 in. (w) x (l) x 0.25 in. (thickness)
- Weight: 1.04 lbs.
- Made from: Closed Cell Sponge Neoprene
When thinking of carpeted floors and sound-proofing, Neoprene may not have been one of the things on your mind for your home. However, it is an incredibly versatile flooring that is durable and inexpensive.
While similar to the structure of EVA foam, Neoprene is more spongy. This makes it great at sound-proofing and absorbing any footfall noise. It also makes this one way you can reduce floor sound without adding much bulk to your carpet or floor.
Despite being thinner than the other soundproofing solutions we featured here, the CleverBrand Neoprene Carpet roll is a very dense material, which makes it effective at its job. And as you may have guessed already, this carpet is also excellent at insulating heat as well as sound.
Like our best overall pick, you can easily install this carpet just by unrolling it. The weight of the carpet is enough to keep it down ensure it stays flat.
Note that while this does offer pretty good sound-deadening floor insulation, especially for impacts, this carpet is not the sort of thing you want if you live in a highly noisy area or home. It isn’t the most effective at sound-proofing, but it is to be expected at this price.
Is the Cleverbrand Neoprene Carpet Roll for You?
Maybe you’re just starting or living temporarily in a rented place or perhaps you just need a little bit of sound-proofing without going overboard.
In that case, this CleverBrand Soundproofing Neoprene is an excellent way you can get the benefits of reducing sounds in your home or room without spending a lot.
- Excellent at reducing sound waves from impacts
- Incredibly affordable
- Great heat insulation, too
- Not as effective as others at sound-deadening floor insulation
4. Stalwart Foam Mat Floor Tiles
- Dimensions: 12 ft. (w) x 12 ft. (l) x 0.375 in. (thickness) [other sizes available]
- Weight: 3.59 lbs. per tile
- Made from: EVA foam
This is the adult version of the colorful floor mats kids usually have. People can usually find acoustic floor tiles like this in a gym.
And while these floor tiles may not be the prettiest solution in the world, they are the cheapest and quickest soundproofing products to help accomplish the job of reducing airborne noise.
Their major advantage is that you can easily put them over existing flooring, even carpeted flooring. So if you’re just renting but don’t want to undergo the tedious process of ripping up pre-existing carpets, this is the perfect product to get the job done for you.
Made from lightweight EVA foam, these floor tiles have properties that are excellent for reducing all kinds of sound and airborne noise for your home. Plus, they’re also non-slip and water-resistant, so they provide an extra layer of protection to help your floor or carpet last way longer.
Its interlocking design makes it secure, durable, and easy to install.
Is the Stalwart Foam Mat Floor Tile for You?
If you live in a rented house or apartment building and need a non-permeant or cheap soundproof option, these acoustic floor tiles are the answer to your prayers!
These soundproof floor mats are light, non-slip, water-resistant, and effective at reducing sound without costing an arm and a leg. You can also choose to just install them whenever you need them and put them away when you’re done!
- Useful and temporary solution
- Extremely affordable
- No need to rip up existing floors
- Easy to install and store
- Great at absorbing sound waves and impact vibrations
- Not the most attractive
- Not for those looking for a hidden soundproof carpet underlay
5. Roberts Quiet Cushion Acoustic Underlay Material
- Dimensions: 7 in. (w) x 43.31 in. (l) x 7 inches.(thickness)
- Weight: 2.39 lbs.
- Made from: Cross-linked progressive foam technology
Another carpet underlay material that is great for carpeted floors is the Roberts Quiet Cushion. Using progressive foam technology, its foam is designed with a cross-linked pattern that is excellent at absorbing sound waves. A bonus is that this design also gives you moisture protection.
Each roll gives you 100 square feet to get the job of soundproofing your floor done.
And while this product isn’t particularly thick, it’s still an excellent layer of underlayment that is great at reducing all kinds of sound in and out of your room because of its 69 IIC rating and 67 STC rating.
Just note that it’s difficult to get this flooring to lay flat, making installation challenging. One way of getting this job done is by weighing this product down overnight before laying your carpeting or flooring on top.
Is the Roberts Quiet Cushion Acoustic Underlay Material for You?
If you are looking for an inexpensive carpeting underlayment that is excellent at reducing sounds and provides a protective barrier to moisture, you should definitely consider this one product. While it may not be the easiest to install, this is expected considering its price.
- Relatively inexpensive
- Benefits of a moisture barrier
- Excellent to soundproof your room
- Trickier to install
Why Get a Soundproofing Carpet Underlay or Flooring Material?
The best soundproof carpets reduce impact AND airborne sounds, while standard carpeting only reduces impact noise, such as the sound of furniture being moved around.
Soundproof carpets work both ways by reducing the sounds you transmit to your neighbors along with those you will hear from them.
This one layer will be especially helpful to you if you live on top of a commercial establishment, such as a restaurant retail store, or if you live beside a noisy road. They could also work well for car soundproofing, but they won’t be AS EFFECTIVE as actual sound-dampening mats.
These carpet or floor mats help you block any unwanted sounds, especially those from other properties. Moreover, it can help preserve your carpet or floor to make it last longer, look better, be more comfortable, and provide more insulation for those cold nights.
The following are the benefits you can expect to get from the soundproofing carpeting products in this guide:
- Reduces impact noise levels (soundproofing)
- Reduces outside noise (outside to inside)
- Reduces sound waves transmission (inside to outside)
- Shortens the duration of reflected sounds
- Increases sound absorption
- Preserves carpets or flooring
How to Choose Your Soundproofing Carpet
Before buying from one of the best soundproof carpets above, there are 3 factors you should keep in mind:
- Thickness/Density – When it comes to soundproofing, mass absorbs sound waves and makes it more difficult for impact noise and airborne noise to pass through any object. So, thicker is better.
- Sound Transmission Class (STC) – Sound Transmission Class is a numeric rating given to products (the higher the number, the better the products are at soundproofing)
- Impact Insulation Class (IIC) – Impact noise is usually the biggest issue when it comes to flooring, especially with hardwood floors. The Impact Insulation Class will tell you how well the sound reduction of the flooring is. Again, the higher the better.
If you’re the type of person who hates disturbing your neighbor, whether it’s with your heavy footsteps or frequent indoor exercising, having a soundproof carpet underlay or floor can make a huge difference.
And if you’re on the receiving end of your neighbor’s music, getting the best soundproof carpets or flooring materials is better than having to argue with them every day to turn down the volume!
January 7, 2022 – updated article title, updated featured image
July 8, 2021 – removed 3 article links
July 2, 2021 – updated title and featured image, removed 4 article links, added 1 new article link
June 7, 2021 – removed 6 article links, fixed and updated article formatting and content, optimized content